Both landlords and tenants have rights and responsibilities before, during and after entering a tenancy agreement. Below is a summary of some their key responsibilities:

A landlord must:

  • Make sure the unit is safe and has proper doors and locks
  • Give a receipt when rent is paid in cash
  • Do repairs and keep the unit in good shape
  • Pay utility bills if utilities are included in the rent
  • Investigate any complaints about disturbing other tenants
  • Live up to the terms of the agreement or lease

A tenant must:

  • Pay their rent on time
  • Keep their place clean and tidy
  • Repair any damages they or guest cause
  • Make sure you or your guests do not disturb other people in the building and in the neighbourhood
  • Make sure they do not endanger others in the building
  • Not engage in criminal activity
  • Live up to the terms of the agreement or lease
  • Avoid paying cash, and always get a receipt. Open up a checking account, the bank statement and returned checks become a receipt and proof of payment.
  • Ask questions. Some examples: How often will you increase the rent? Do you allow pets? What kind of pets do you allow? How much notice do I give if I want to leave or terminate the agreement?

Payment Deadlines

A tenant is responsible to pay the landlord the full rent on the day the rent is due. If the rent is not paid on time, the landlord may charge the tenant a late payment fee. However, a landlord must tell a tenant in writing that they will charge a late payment fee if the tenant does not pay rent on time. This is generally included in the tenancy agreement. Tenants are NOT permitted to hold back rent because there is a disagreement about terms of the lease or for reasons like incomplete repairs, etc. Always pay your rent on time.

Rent Increases

In Manitoba, a landlord can legally increase the rent once every 12 months. However, the government regulates rent increases and sets limits on how much rent can be increased. This limit is described in the rent increase guideline for the current year. A landlord must give a tenant three months’ notice of a rent increase and provide specific information such as when the increase comes into effect, the new rental cost, and explain that the tenant has the right to appeal the increase. For complete details on rent increases see the Rent Increases Fact Sheet.

Resolving Conflict

What can I do if my landlord is not treating me fairly or making unreasonable requests? What happens if my landlord is not respecting my privacy? What if my tenant is not complying by the rules and guidelines set forth in the tenancy agreement?

The first approach to resolving disputes should always be open and honest communication. Trying discussing the problem in person or over the phone with your landlord or tenant. In order to do this, it is important to know your legal rights, understand the problem, consider possible solutions, be respectful, stay calm, document everything, and know when to take a different approach. We encourage you to contact our Off-Campus Coordinator to assist you with a communication strategy or a plan for next steps if you are not seeing any progress with your dispute.

Residential Tenancies can often help to resolve disputes informally, over the telephone, to the satisfaction of both tenant and landlord. If communication has completely broken down, both tenants and landlords have the right to contact Residential Tenancies. Depending on the issue, the Residential Tenancies Branch can set up a mediation or hearing to resolve the dispute.


The information contained in this section of the website is for reference only and is provided as general guidelines for U of M students searching for off-campus housing and for prospective landlords. Provincial Acts governing the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants are under the jurisdiction of the Residential Tenancies Branch of Manitoba. Complete information on rights and responsibilities (including additional fact sheets, forms and templates) can be found on their website or by contacting their office at:

Residential Tenancies Branch
302 – 254 Edmonton Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 3Y4
Telephone: 204-945-2476
Toll Free in Manitoba: 1-800-782-8403
FAX: 204-945-6273